Sunday, April 29, 2012

Make Something Monday - One Man's Trash...

One day last summer, my parents were over and Deputy D was out in the backyard charring....um I mean grilling.... the burgers.  At some point when I turned my back, he decided to take one of my cookie sheets outside and put it on top of the burner attached to the grill to keep the patties warm once they were charred... I mean cooked.

At any rate, most of you know this was not a great idea.  To this day, I have not been able to remove the black marks from the cookie sheet and can't bake on it anymore.  I only use it for dishes that I know will overflow in the oven or will be in some way messy.

I am glad I did not ever throw it out, because I learned a great use for old cookie sheets.  I wish I could take credit for this idea, but I learned about it at church's ladies event that I attended.  I apologize for the lack of step-by-step pictures, but I did not want to be the freak taking pictures of everything that I did (especially since it was my first time attending).



Here are the steps they took us through:

Measure out sheets of scrapbook paper (or other decorative paper) that will fit the inside of the cookie sheet.  You can use as many as you like.  We did two, a smaller one for the top where the letters went and a larger one for the bottom.  Round corner the the top two corners of the top sheet and the bottom two corners of the bottom sheet.  Glue down both sheets (we used regular glue sticks, but when I do this again, I will probably pull out the handy dandy hot glue gun).  Measure a length of ribbon that will go all the way across.  Someone cut my ribbon for me and it is a bit short and bugging me, so I am thinking of trying to find something to glue to both ends of the ribbon to cover this up.  Glue down the ribbon.

I cut out an extra travel tag just to put in the middle of my board just because I thought it looked really nice.

Cut out letters that spell out whatever kind of board you are making.  We made prayer boards, so we have "P", "R", "A", and "Y" letters.  You could spell out MEMO, GROCERY, REMINDERS, NOTES, MENU or just about anything that would be useful to you.

To make the magnets, we used various buttons glued to circular magnets.  I think the leader called it "Liquid Glass," but I suspect super glue or hot glue would work fine.  Let the magnets dry completely before putting them onto the cookie sheet.

For the hanger, we used a binder clip.  Thrifty and nifty in my humble opinion.  A great project that uses up things most crafty people have laying around the house!



No comments:

Post a Comment