Sunday, August 5, 2012

Best Waffle Recipe Ever!!

I love waffles, and have been experimenting with different recipes to find one that is the perfect balance of taste ease of preparation.  I have a couple that I really like, but involve whipping egg whites and folding them into the batter, and I just usually don't have the time for that much preparation.

I also have been experimenting with sourdough starter.  Lo and behold, I found a recipe on the King Arthur Flour site for Overnight Sourdough Waffles.  (On a side note, this site is a great resource for fledgling bakers!)  The beauty of this recipe is that most of the prep work is done the night before, and you just leave it sitting out on the counter overnight.  Mix a few ingredients in the next morning, pull out the waffle maker, and you are good to go.

The night before, you mix a cup of your sourdough starter straight from the fridge and mix with flour, sugar, and buttermilk.  This is a great way to discard some of your starter before you feed it.  I can really see myself making these waffles a weekly Sunday morning breakfast.  Also, if you do not keep buttermilk on hand, you can add one tablespoon of white vinegar to just under one cup of milk and let it sit for five minutes.  I almost never have buttermilk, so this is the trick I frequently use.


Cover the mixture and let it sit out on the counter overnight.


The next morning, mix in the melted butter and egg mixture and then salt and baking soda.  The batter will be light, fluffy, and spongy.



Pour the recommended amount of batter into the waffle maker and you will have golden, beautiful waffles in no time.  The outside is light and crispy, and the inside is fluffy and tangy.  These waffles can be topped with your favorite toppings.  We have only used the classic butter and syrup, but next time I have strawberries and whipped cream on hand, we will definitely be trying that.  Also, because they are tangy and not overly sweet, I can see even savory toppings working well.





I hope you get to try these soon.  And I can definitely share sourdough starter with my local friends if you don't have your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment