Monday, August 13, 2012

Make Something Monday - Father's Day T-Shirt

I was browsing the aisles of Target looking for something really cool to give Dad for Father's Day, and I came across this nifty package of iron-on transfers for T-shirts.  They had versions for both light-colored and dark-colored shirts.  To me, the instructions seem simpler for the dark colored version, so that is what I went with.  I decided that making a custom shirt for Dad would be way more awesome than any shirt I could buy him!

The whole process was pretty simple.  I created my design on the computer and then printed it out using the high quality setting.  I used Publisher to create the art.  I know... shocker.  I HATE Publisher.  But it's the only publishing program I have at home, and sometimes you just have to work with what you have.



I washed the shirt, following the instructions on the transfer and then ironed it out until it was smooth.  You have to use a hard surface, like a table.



Trim out the art and remove the backing.  This is the part that gave me the most trouble.  I had problems getting the backing off, and ended up with one wrinkled edge where I removed it.  Put the transfer on the shirt, cover it with tissue paper, and then iron according to the instructions.





Dad loved the shirt, and Little Man thought it was pretty cool that his picture was on the shirt.  He was perturbed that I used pictures of both of the grandsons, and not just him.  And he apparently had no idea that Dad is a Sunday School teacher.  I am not sure how that is possible.  Mom has washed the shirt, following the instructions included with the transfer, and said that it washed up fine.  I know that Dad has worn it a couple of times, and it has held up pretty well.  Overall, an inexpensive project that makes a really cool personalized gift for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment