Saturday, June 9, 2012

I Am Waffling Over This Waffle Recipe

This morning, Little Man and I are on our own because Deputy D worked last night and is sound asleep.  So I decided to try a waffle recipe that I saw on Pinterest because although Little Man and I love waffles, Deputy D is nor crazy about them.  (I would like it noted here that this is one of many recipes I have tried from Pinterest, so my time spent on the site is not a complete waste, as Deputy D seems to think it is!)



I started, as usual, by gathering and measuring out all of my ingredients.


Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.

Beat the egg yolks and mix with the milk and oil.  Pour mixture into flour.







Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and then fold into batter.











Pour recommended amount into waffle maker.  Mine is a Belgian waffle maker and 1 Cup of batter was perfect.


Don't worry if your first waffle is a little smaller or doesn't look perfect.  Every time I make waffles, the first one is just a test waffle to test the amount of batter and the temperature of the waffle maker.




Little Man cleaned his plate, but I am on the fence about the recipe.

What I Like:
  • They are light and fluffy with a crispy outside.
  • The recipe is quick (it only took me about 15 minutes to get everything mixed together) and easy.
  • It made two full-sized waffles and two smaller ones, which is just enough for us with no leftovers.

What I Didn't Like:
  • The waffle seemed bland to me.  I have definitely tried recipes that have a bit more flavor.
  • The very middle of the larger waffles were a bit underdone, but I can adjust the temperature on my waffle maker next time.
I have been known to put my own spin on waffle recipes just by throwing extra stuff in the batter to see how it comes out.  My favorite tweak is to add apples, raisins, cinnamon, and walnuts.  They are so good!  I think next time, I will try this recipe use my tweak to see if I like it any better.  The site I found the recipe on pictured it with fruit topping, and I definitely think these waffles could use the extra flavor or a strong-flavored syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment