Friday, June 15, 2012

Father's Day Boston Cream Poke Cake

I made a Boston Cream Poke Cake that I found on Pinterest (from The County Cook) for Deputy D for Father's Day.  We celebrated Father's Day early because Little Man will be gone this weekend, and Deputy D requested Boston Cream Pie.  I have been wanting to try this recipe because I loved the Oreo Poke Cake so much, and I thought this was a good opportunity.


I made a boxed yellow cake.  I think any yellow cake will do, but I used the butter yellow variety.


Bake the cake according to the package directions (in a 9 x 13 pan), and when it is done use the end of a plastic or wooden spoon to poke holes about 1" apart.




Mix up two packages of instant vanilla pudding with 4 cups of milk until the lumps are gone.  Let is sit for a couple of minutes until it thickens up a bit.  When pour it onto the cake and press down into the holes with a spoon.  Refrigerate the cake until the pudding is set.


Heat a tub of chocolate frosting in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds until it is thin enough to pour onto the cake.  Don't let it get too hot.  Spread the frosting out and put back in the fridge until  it is set.

The recipe did not call for a layer of cool whip, but I love cool whip and decided to add it on because I figured it would be pretty tasty.  Deputy D and Little Man both said the cake was really good, and it was really easy to make.

Keep the cake and any leftovers refrigerated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment