Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Truthful Tuesday - Give Me a Bucket and I Will Carry a Tune

Last week, I was telling Deputy D about a conversation I had with the music director from the church we have been visiting.  The music director was inquiring as to whether I had any musical talents and if I would be interested in singing in the choir.  The soda Deputy D was drinking spewed out of his mouth as he laughed out loud.  Loudly.

"Well, did you tell him the truth?"  Deputy D was very amused by the whole conversation.  Way too amused for my liking.

Well, ok.  Truth be told, I cannot carry a tune.  Even if you did hand me a bucket to carry it in.  So maybe his merriment was a bit warranted.

And the rub of it is that I love to sing.  My brother was warning me not to see a movie because I would not like the ending sometime back in college, and I asked him how he knew that I would not want to see it.  His answer?  "The same way that I know that you crank up the radio to max volume and sing at the top of your lungs when no one is in the car with you."

How did he know that?  He was dead on with his assessment, but I only do it when I am alone in the car.  (Notice the switch to present tense here??)  Oh, wait.  Maybe it was my singing in the shower at the top of my lungs, terribly off-key, growing up that clued him in.

I love to sing when I am happy.  I love to sing when I am sad.  I sing when I am angry and when I am depressed.  I sing just because I am alone and no one can hear me.

The first time Deputy D took me to meet his parents, I was going through my 200+ CD collection and playing various songs on the trip back (it was about a four hour car trip).  I came across a popular song from high school, put the CD in, cranked the volume up, and sang it with great gusto.  Deputy D almost ran off the road he was laughing so hard.  He asked me to sing it again (without the background CD), laughed until he was in tears, and then told me that I had butchered the song so badly that he would not have known what it was if he had not heard the CD.

Well....boo on you.

Someone I was close to in high school (and who was very musically inclined) once told me that he thought my problem was that I was unintentionally trying to harmonize with everyone that was singing around me.  Who knows if that is true.  What I do know is that I have a very hard time deciding what key to follow when I am singing in a big group.

Or maybe it's a rhythm issue.  I had to quit marching band in high school because I could not march the patterns and play the music at the same time.  And I can't dance.  At all.  Deputy D will only dance with me to choreographed sequences that he is sure I can handle.  None of this freestyle stuff.  Somewhere out there in cyberspace, there is a video of me humiliating myself to Just Dance 3.  I hope that it never surfaces,  because I will be mortified if anyone sees it.

Or it could, quite possibly, be a combination of both.

At any rate, if you hear me singing to myself under my breath or humming off-key when I am concentrating (I hear that I do that sometimes), just listen for a few minutes and you will probably get a good laugh.  But it doesn't matter.  God gave me a voice box and said make a joyful noise.  And that is what I shall continue to do because, if nothing else, it makes those who love me the most smile and gives them a bit of amusement.

No comments:

Post a Comment